Reading allows us to explore the world without ever leaving our homes. So, in honor of World Book Day, April 23rd, we thought it would be fun to share a book list inspired by our resorts. Whether it’s a beach, garden, island or countryside you’re craving, this list will transport out of your house and on an adventure.
- Pasea Hotel & Spa in Huntington Beach, CA – "Kelly Slater: For the Love" This book takes you on a journey through the story of world surf champion Kelly Slater, who considers Huntington Beach his home away from home. Inspiring surf victories and overcoming challenges are illustrated through the pages. As an homage to the city’s importance in the surf community and to the man himself, images of Slater surfing can be found on Pasea’s walls.
- Estancia La Jolla in San Diego, CA - Frances Hodgoson Burnett: "The Secret Garden" Guests of Estancia enjoy the serene garden setting of the resort making Frances Burnett’s classic, “The Secret Garden,” a perfect fit. We recommend getting lost in this enchanting journey of a spoiled ten-year-old child who is sent to live with her uncle in Yorkshire England where she discovers a mysterious garden. We also love this as it is free on Kindle with an Amazon Prime subscription.
- Ko’a Kea Resort in Kauai, HI – Kaui Hard Hemmings: "The Descendants" - Dreaming of an island getaway? This book will help get you through until that flight can be booked with twists and turns through tales of Hawaiian royalty. An easy-to-ready literary work of art, it takes you on a ride through the life of a feisty ten-year-old and a troubled seventeen-year-old.You can also catch this movie after free on Hulu with your subscription.
- The Meritage Resort in Napa, CA – Laura Dave: "Eight Hundred Grapes" – Pour yourself a glass of wine (or two) and drink in this book that’s centered around the personal life and crisis of one daughter who left home. It’s a quick-read novel about romance, secrets, and family drama, taking place during harvest season on a family vineyard in the Russian River Valley. Somewhere in the smart writing of this book, readers manage to learn about the process and culture behind vineyard life and wine-making.
- Vista Collina Resort in Napa, CA – Teri Wilson: "Unmasking Juliet" - A playful take on Romeo and Juliet with wine and chocolate? Sign us up.This unexpected tale of Napa is drenched in romance, deception, and passion.
BONUS: In honor of #WorldBookDay, Amazon is giving away nine Kindle books from around the world to read for free.